The Historical Society of the Town of Middletown (HSM) will host a slide show of historic images of Margaretville Wednesday, July 25 at 7 p.m. Halcottsville post card collector Lynda Stratton and daughter Kathy Roberts have organized a program of some 200 images of buildings, street scenes, river views and localized greetings. They range from the 1890s to the 1970s.
Here is an old article from a travel guide put out by the Ulster & Delaware along with a JPG of the listings of private homes that took in lodgers during the summer months from the same book. For a better version go to our Facebook Page for the PDF. They follow the path of the Ulster & Delaware from Fleischmanns to West Davenport. The name of some old family farmsteads will be recognizable to some. It's also interesting that the literature showed the elevation of the town - cool mountain air at 1500 feet above sea level was probably a very good reason to vacation here.
Excerpts from a travel guide book from 1934 to the Catskills highlighting the old roads used which became part of the rail system. We have focused on the section of trails that runs through Delaware County along the western Ashokan Trail and the end of the Mohican and Rip Van Winkle Trails. The original guide may be found at at the Delaware County Historical Association's office in Delhi. The descriptions of the towns focus on the natural resources and healthful benefits, but keep in mind not all things referenced here are still in existence or may be closed to the public.
In 1848 the first railroad, the NY & Erie, entered Delaware County setting in motion significant changes in this mountainous rural area. The first train ran through Sullivan County, into Delaware County via Long Eddy and passed through Deposit on its way to Binghamton. In 1873 railroads reached deeper into Delaware County with the completion of the New York, Ontario & Western (O & W), affectionately called the Old and Weary in later years. The O&W ran through East Branch, Walton and Sidney, and included a side branch from Walton to Delhi. In the 1870s the Ulster & Delaware (U & D) railroad, nicknamed the Up & Down because of the rough terrain it traveled, connected the eastern side of the county running from Kingston through Ulster County to Fleischmanns, Arkville, Roxbury, Grand Gorge and Stamford. By 1900 the line had extended through Hobart, Bloomville, East Meredith and Davenport ending in Oneonta. The Delaware & Eastern, later called the Delaware & Northern (D & N), one of the last lines to be built in Delaware County in the early 1900s, connected the O & W in East Branch to the U & D in Arkville with a spur to Andes from Union Grove Andes Junction.