Bob Wyer’s Delaware County:  Photographs From the Mid- 20th Century

The Delaware County Historical Association (DCHA) is preparing a major exhibit for the fall featuring the photography of local photojournalist Bob Wyer (1908-1982).

In the late 1970s, Bob and his wife Billie Wyer generously donated their collection of over 150,000 negatives to DCHA. During his career, which ran from the late 1930s into the 1970s, Wyer photographed both the relatively mundane and the sensational. His photographs covered a wide range of life’s activities, including school groups, graduating seniors, weddings, family groups and even funerals. He photographed drivers for their chauffeur licenses and travelers for their passport photos. For insurance purposes, he photographed stores, hotels, farms and businesses, providing us with a remarkably broad documentation of life here in the Catskills from the 1930s into the 1970s.

As a staff photographer for the Oneonta Star, Wyer was often also on hand to document accidents, fires and even, in a few instances, murders. Images from his years as both a free-lancer and as a paid photojournalist make up the exhibit of close to 100 photographs.

Parents’ Warning: Due to their sensitive subject matter, one or two of the images on display may not be suitable for children under 13 years of age.

This exhibition of rarely- or never-before-seen images taken by Bob Wyer will open on Friday, September 7 at 5 pm with a wine and cheese reception. The photographs will remain on display until January 2013. Free admission.

DCHA is located two miles north of Delhi on State Hwy. 10. Contact the Delaware County Historical Association at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or call (607) 746-3849 for further information. http://www.dcha-ny.org

Bob Wyer photo: WWII Bond Drive.

Bob Wyer / Delaware County Historical Association

Related Articles

Scanning Your Family Treasures

New York State in the Revolutionary War

Hiking historian will discuss John Burroughs as mountain tramper

Hotels of Middletown