From Towns to Reservoirs


Approved in 1931, the Pepacton and Cannonsville Reservoirs were to become vital to the New York City Watershed. The Pepacton Reservoir, formed by impounding a quarter of the East Branch of the Delaware River, is the largest by volume of all the watershed reservoirs. The Cannonsville is the western most of the reservoirs and impounds over half of the West Branch of the Delaware River’s flow. To supply over nine million people with some of the best drinking water on earth, much had to be sacrificed. Below the Cannonsville Reservoir lies the towns of Rock Royal, Granton, Rock Rift, Beerston and Cannonsville while the Pepacton Reservoir sits atop the remains of Pepacton, Shavertown, Arena and Union Grove. For more information visit the Delaware County Historical Association.